Flood warnings have hit our region today after what the MET Office has described as some of the worse rainfall in recent years. Due to the biblical-like storms over the past 24 hours here at One&Other we’re urging residents to prepare should the worst happen.
With York’s River Ouse notorious for bursting its banks here are five simple steps to follow to prepare your home against the risk of flooding:
1. Check your home and buildings insurance covers flooding, this includes rented property, your landlord should be able to give you this information.
2. Make sure you know how to turn off your gas, water or electricity – if you are not sure, ask your supplier for advice.
3. In severe downpours only take journeys that are necessary.
4. Keep a kit of essential items like copies of your insurance documents, and a first aid kit
5. Keep yourself updated with all weather warnings by tuning into your local radio or news stations.