Today’s 30 Days of Doing Good opportunity features Upstage Centre Youth Theatre.
The charity’s Board of Trustees is recruiting for new members at what they feel is a key time in the organisation’s history with an active Youth Theatre programme and more secure finances giving a springboard for the charity to grow and develop over the next few years.
Upstage Centre Youth Theatre has been around in York in various guises – the best known previously being Stagecoach Youth Theatre York – for around twenty years. In that time, the organisation has helped hundreds of young people grow and develop through the performing arts, and many more people – as individuals, community groups and theatre companies – have used the facilities owned by the charity: the studio theatre, dance studio and rehearsal room at 41 Monkgate
- Finance, to take over from our current Treasurer – who would become Chair of the charity – and bring fresh eyes to the organisation’s finances.
- Youth Theatre, to work with the organisation’s practitioners and help set the Youth Theatre programme.
- Marketing, to help develop our Youth Theatre membership and raise the profile of the organisation.
- Fundraising, to help raise extra funds to support our youth theatre and facilities, through events, ongoing activities or funding applications.
- Theatre Management, to help maximise the potential of our Studio Theatre as a performance space for our Youth Theatre and the community
“Upstage is a fantastic organisation which has touched so many people, and it’s a really exciting time for the charity,” says Treasurer Robbie Swale. “It has been a real struggle at some points over the last few years, and has taken a lot of hard graft and a lot of help from a lot of people to get the organisation back on its feet. We are now in a position to grow the charity, expand our activities and reinvest in our facilities; the only thing limiting us is the time and energy of the people involved!”
Upstage Centre Youth Theatre also require volunteers on a more ad hoc basis, including positions within the front of house team and within the production team for their youth theatre productions and projects. For the latter in particular, they require people who are passionate about theatre and enjoy working with young people, so if you can give some of your time, there are opportunities to get experience teaching young people to sing, dance and act alongside professional practitioners.
Anyone interested in joining the Upstage Centre Youth Theatre Board of Trustees or volunteering on a more ad hoc basis can register their interest via the pledge button at the right hand side of this article.